Today I want to share 9 reasons to do a First Look on your Wedding Day. While I am always team Bride, I find most brides that want a First Look, normally do because of tradition, or because they don’t know all the benefits. I always aim to educate and do what I can to help my brides in any way!
9 Reasons To Do First Look:
#1 – Calms your nerves
- having a first look can help calm any wedding day jitters you may have. It can also help you feel more relaxed about the day, and be a stress reliever. A lot of brides can feel anxious and nervous about their moment of walking down the aisle. This is completely normal, but for brides who may suffer with anxiety, a first look can really help. A first look makes that moment down the aisle a little less scary since you have already seen you man.
#2 – Safe place for emotions
- Because a first look is more private, it allows you to have a safe space to express any emotions you might be feeling, without the awkwardness of everyone watching as you interact together for the first time on your wedding day. I know that I personally have a really hard time expressing my emotions in front of people. I do not cry in front of others, and I also have time expressing excitement with people watching. This is also normal, and my husband is the same way. I wish we had done a first look, because I feel like we were definitely not able to express our emotions the way we wanted.
#3 – Alone time
- You actually don’t get a whole lot of alone time on your wedding day, so this is a nice moment for the two of you to spend a second alone. The whole day you are surrounded by your friends, family, and vendors. While this isn’t a bad thing, it is nice to have some alone time. When my couples do a first look, I like to document it, but also step away for a few minutes and let y’all have some time alone together. This is a favorite part of the day for many of our couples.
#4 – Spend more time together
- Because you get to see each other earlier, that means you get to spend more time together. First looks are really nice by allowing the two of you to spend pretty much the whole day together. I mean, who doesn’t want to spend the day with the person they are marrying?!
#5 – Finish pictures early
- A lot of time having a first look will free up some time, and allow you to finish your pictures up earlier so you can get your reception and guests faster.
#6 – Look your best
- Because your hair and make up and dress are fresh, you are able to look your absolute best for your first look, without having to do any adjustments or touch ups.
#7 – Get more photos
- The timeline tends to be more relaxed, so because you aren’t rushed, this allows for more pictures. We also get two different times during the day to take bride and groom portraits, so just this alone will double your amount of couple portraits!
#8 – Enjoy the day
- With a more relaxed timeline, you will not be rushed and stressed. You will be able to sit back and enjoy your day. When there is no first look, the timeline tends to be a little more rushed. It’s nice to be able to have some time to relax!
#9 – Less risky
- You won’t be rushed, so there isn’t a risk on whether or not you can fit everything in by the end of the day. This is a great reason for a first look. A lot of times weather is a factor too. When couples do a first look, it makes it easier for us to still get their couples portraits in case of rain since they have two designated spots on the timeline.
If you were on the fence about a first look, I hope this helps you out! Please let me know if I can help in any way!
For more helpful resources, please check out these other blog posts
I would love to hang out and share more with you! I share lots of wedding tips on my Instagram as well
Central Alabama Photographer
Tuscaloosa ~ Jasper ~ Birmingham